Thursday, May 12, 2011

Hockey and TV

Tuesday night's game between the Red Wings and the Sharks was one of the most exciting televised sporting events I've seen this year. I know I'm not the only one to have this opinion.

So why can't I watch the Stanley Cup playoffs on regular cable? I was aware that regular season games wouldn't be available, but if even the playoffs are relegated to one channel, why isn't Versus included in standard programming?

I understand that hockey might not be as popular in Kentucky as other places, but all winter I've only been able to catch games on Fox Sports South. I almost became a Predators fan. Worse, because I enjoy hearing the games as I watch them (and there isn't a Detroit bar in Lexington), I've been at the mercy of my friends with access to Versus. That wouldn't be all that bad if they weren't a Coyote and a Sharks fan.

Maybe there will be a concurrent NFL/NBA lockout that will force NBC to nationally broadcast games. One can only hope.

In the meantime: Go Wings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment